Loudoun Mutual has been insuring Virginians since 1849 and is one of the top property insurance writers in Virginia. Because we are a mutual insurance company, owned by and operated for the benefit of our policyholders, Loudoun Mutual is committed to providing its policyholders with broad coverages, flexible payment plans, excellent service (especially when they have a claim) and affordable, competitive pricing.
Prevent Freezing & Major Damage in Winter
To prevent pipes from freezing and causing major damage, there are 6 easy things to do:
What to do if your pipes have frozen and burst:
- Keep your thermostat at the same temperature day and night. Never let it fall below 55 degrees Fahrenheit, especially when you leave your home.
- Drain water from pipes that are likely to freeze. This includes your swimming pool and sprinkler water supply lines.
- Disconnect any hoses from the outside of your home; drain the hoses.
- Make sure to close the indoor valves supplying these outdoor access points.
- Open kitchen cabinets. This allows the warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Allow your faucets to drip cold water on the coldest days. The movement will make it harder for the water to freeze.
- Shut off all water
- Call a plumber
- Call a water mitigation company
- Call your insurance company to see if you have coverage for this type of loss
Protect your home or business
Safety tips to protect your home or business: www.ibhs.org
(Institute for Business and Home Safety)
Up-to-date information on fire, electrical, and building safety: www.nfpa.org
(National Fire Protection Association)
Hartford Steam Boiler, one of our business partners, is pleased to announce a complimentary service, the MyHomeWorkstm
website, which offers a convenient suite of customizable, interactive tools to help you increase energy efficiency and save money. Please sign up
HSB Weather Disaster and Catastrophes Alerts
HSB Cold Weather and Freeze Alert
Are you prepared for an emergency? www.vaemergency.com
(Virginia Department of Emergency Management)
Information about disasters and tips on how to be prepared: www.scc.virginia.gov/boi
Hurricane Preparedness: Before and After
If you are experiencing flooding from the recent storms, your first contact should be FEMA. Phone 1-800-621-3362 Fax 1-800-827-8112. Need assistance following a disaster? www.fema.gov
(Federal Emergency Management Agency). If FEMA requires something in writing from your homeowners insurance company, please contact us at 540-882-3232 and ask for claims.
General Insurance Information
For general consumer information regarding Insurance in Virginia: www.scc.virginia.gov/boi
(Virginia Bureau of Insurance)
Check out the Insurance Information Institute's website which was designed to improve the public's understanding of insurance: www.iii.org
(Insurance Information Institute)
Take a look at AM Best's website to discover the financial strength of their member insurance companies: www.ambest.com
Loudoun Mutual is a proud member of VAMIC, Virginia's Association of Mutual Insurance Companies. Click here for more information about VAMIC: www.vamic.org